Struggling with sleep ??
Want to sleep as soon as you hit bed??
There exists a simple breathing technique (don’t roll your eyes), which some claim is almost magical in terms of its impact on your health and sleeping patterns. It’s called the 4-7-8 breathing exercise, aka the ‘RELAXING BREATH,’ and it can help you fall asleep in just 1 minute by only inhaling and exhaling.
No pills, no sheep counting, and no magic. Sleep in 60 seconds from simply breathing.
This amazing breathing technique was founded by a Harvard-trained medical physician, Dr. Andrew Weil. He says that this technique could potentially lower your blood pressure, slow your heartbeat, and place your body in a wonderfully calm and relaxed state. His method is actually inspired by an ancient yoga form practiced in India called Pranayama, meaning regulation of breath.
So, What Do I Need To Do?
Sleep is at your fingertips – all you need to do is practice this simple technique:
- Place your tongue’s tip on the ridge of tissue right over your front upper teeth. Ensure that you hold your tongue in this exact spot throughout the exercise.Exhale entirely through the mouth, enacting a ‘whoosh’ sound.
- Now, close your lips and proceed to inhale deeply through your nose quietly. Make a mental count till 4.
- Hold your breath for a mental count of 7.
- Then, exhale fully through your mouth, once again making that whooshing sound for a count of 8.
- This was one entire breath. Inhale once more and then proceed to repeat this exercise thrice more. In total, you will be performing 4 breaths.
How Does This Work?
Going through the technique outlined above, you may have noticed a mental pattern of 4-7-8. This breathing technique fundamentally changes your anxiety-driven breathing pattern.
When you’re stressed out, you tend to take shallow breaths that don’t properly oxygenate your blood. Described as “a natural tranquilizer for your nervous system,” this technique promotes a quicker carbon dioxide eviction from your blood, which helps to preserve your bicarbonate pool better, thereby allowing your body to maintain a proper pH balance.