There is a little bit of Saint and Devil (metamorphically speaking) in every human being. No one is a complete saint or devil, we are humans, we might make mistakes, blunders and do deeds with no self interest. Scientists have figured out that people have a “dark core” to their personality to whom I am referring as Devil (again just a metaphor).
Unfortunately in the times, we are living in being human is being Saint and this world needs more human beings then we realise we do. Being human does not mean that you give all your possession in charity. It simply means you possess the following trades for your life time no matter what happens.
Saint human traits
- Compassion : It is the ability to relate to someone’s situation, and you want to help them. You see someone in trouble, and you feel like pitching in. For example, you might help someone pick up their groceries if they dropped their shopping basket on the floor.
- Empathy : It is the ability to understand the experiences and feelings of others outside of your own perspective. You actually sense and feel emotions as if they’re part of your own experience. In other words, someone else’s pain and happiness become your pain and happiness.
- Brave : Bravery isn’t being indifferent. Bravery is facing your fears- every single one of them, developing courage to take risks and not changing in unfavorable times.
- Authentic : Be genuine and reliable, trustworthy, and always the same person.
- Humble : Being humble simply means you are not proud or haughty, neither arrogant or assertive to other human beings. Humble people resist the urge of always wanting to be right. They’re willing to admit error when they are wrong, they allow others to save face when they’re right, and they don’t take things personally.
- Humility: Humility is really quite simple, it is the recognition and acceptance of reality through open-mindedness to truth. Humble leaders grasp their own capabilities in relation to others
- Learner : The ability to learn. Not just in a from bookish knowledge, but absorbing lessons from life and using it in a life-changing way.
- Integrity : It is the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness. Having integrity means that you live in accordance to your deepest values, you’re honest with everyone, and you always keep your word.
Devil human traits
- Psychopathy : A lack of empathy
- Egoism : Excessive concern with one’s own pleasure or advantage at the expense of community well-being.
- Narcissism : Excessive self-absorption
- Machiavellianism : the belief that the ends justify the means
- Moral disengagement: A generalized cognitive orientation to the world that differentiates individuals’ thinking in a way that powerfully affects unethical behavior.
- Sadism : A person who humiliates others, shows a longstanding pattern of cruel or demeaning behavior to others, or intentionally inflicts physical, sexual, or psychological pain or suffering on others in order to assert power and dominance or for pleasure and enjoyment.
- Self-interest : The pursuit of gains in socially valued domains, including material goods, social status, recognition, academic or occupational achievement, and happiness.
- Spitefulness : A preference that would harm another but that would also entail harm to oneself. This harm could be social, financial, physical, or an inconvenience
Research from the University of Copenhagen revealed that people categorized in this “dark core of personalities” tend to put their own interests ahead of anyone else’s.
Another common characteristic researchers observed was the ability to take pleasure from causing other people pain.
Ever since this world came into existence, there has been a constant struggle between good and bad. Saint and Devil are two forces prevailing in this whole universe. In some, good is the dominating force, in some it’s evil. It’s upto us whom we feed create our own character.
Remember, you always have a choice no-one and no circumstance can force you to be someone you don’t want to be..-Apurva