Often we human’s feel, “Who we are and how we are, is the only way to live and lead the life”. We expect everyone around to be more like us. Worst is if they are not like you they are an outcast to you.
Unfortunately, this mindset needs to be changed.
I know so many people who refuses to acknowledge that we are different human being and we might react differently in situations. Their fixation on handling the situation their way is so huge that they unknowingly belittle someone else’s belief system.
They are set in their ways of thinking that the way they are is the only way to live life. The idea of coexistence is almost absent in so many people.
Hence, they have no idea what and how deep mental health is!! And how important it is to keep our minds sane.
Here are my a few techniques to learn to let go of our egos and accept people the way they are :
- Understand the fact that two people may never react the same way even in similar situations.
- Practice accepting people the way they are instead of changing them.
- Understand when to stay quiet and when to talk.
- Staying honest is not always the best policy. Think about it, if I meet you and tell you the list of things I don’t like about you how would you feel! Your nose, your hair, your voice are not upto mark, worse they are not as good as I think they should be.
- Surrender your need for control.
- Value the diversity in nature and culture. There is a reason we are not the same, one of the reason is that we are humans not robots. We are not designed to be the same.
- Practice gratitude.
- Try reading more, go out to different cities and countries to understand how different everyone is, yet we coexist.
- Practice empathy. Understand the difference between Empathy and Sympathy.
For example : The other day I was talking to a friend about my life and the funny thing is that instead of letting me speak she started taking about the difficulties in her life. I was amazed how my friend did not even realise that for few people it takes courage to open up and share their thoughts and feelings. I know my friends and its been years that she is with me hence I know she was trying to tell me that life is difficult for everyone. But trust me, her way of telling me about her life difficulties to return to my life difficulties did not help.
The reason why I am sharing this with you is may be unknowingly you may have done this, with all your heart at the right place. Please don’t do this again, not only it bruises someone’s confidence in you but also in themselves.
Remember, confidence is not a personality attribute it’s a skill. Hence, it’s take a long time for a person to attain the skill of confidence and your words / actions may make them doubt themselves again.