Cucumbers are amazingly refreshing and I love adding Cucumber in my salads. Infact, I eat cucumber almost everyday. It’s the easiest way for me to consume salad and I like the taste of it. If you are looking for ways to make your lifestyle healthier, then consuming cucumbers every day will definitely help.
Cucumbers have great health benefits. You can peel them in small stripes and prepare yummy pasta, mix with tomatoes and onions for a cooling vegetable salad, or slice and drop it in a Jar of water along with mint to add flavour to your water.
Here are 8 amazing health benefits of cucumbers:
1. Helps you stay hydrated: Cucumbers contain around 95% of water, which means a five-ounce serving will have about 150 ml of water. That is 26% of your daily water intake through food. So, now you know cucumbers are your go-to vegetable if you are dehydrated.
2. Lowers blood pressure: Cucumbers are rich in potassium. Consuming cucumbers regularly can lower your blood pressure; thereby bring down the risk of heart disease or stroke.
3. Improves digestion: Cucumbers can help with your digestive problems, be it ulcers or indigestion. This is because cucumbers are rich in fiber and minerals.
4. Reduces swelling: Cucumbers have several anti-inflammatory benefits and therefore it can reduce swelling, inflammation, and irritation. Cucumbers, when placed on the eyes, can help in decreasing the morning puffiness.
5. Can prevent cancer: Cucumbers are rich in nutrients known as cucurbitacins, which are known to prevent cancer by stopping cancer cells from proliferating.
6. Helps in improving brain health: Cucumbers contain a vital anti-inflammatory known as fisetin. This compound can help in maintaining the cognitive function in people with Alzheimer’s disease.
7. Can prevent diabetes: After years of research, scientists have confirmed that cucumbers can help in preventing diabetes. Cucumbers contain Cucurbita ficifolia, which can bring down spikes in blood sugar. They also provide vital nutrients without adding carbs, which can increase blood glucose.
8. Improves oral health: Cucumbers are a great source of food that can help in improving your oral health. The photo chemicals in cucumbers help in removing plaque-forming bacteria from the mouth, preventing bad breath and cavities.