My biggest fear when I was obese was diabetes. I have a history of diabetes in my family and have seen my father struggling with it constantly. Hence, one of the major reason for me to lose weight was to avoid any lifestyle related diseases.
Often, there are no symptoms. When symptoms do occur, they include excessive thirst or urination, fatigue, weight loss, or blurred vision.
- Type 2 diabetes : Symptoms include increased thirst, frequent urination, hunger, fatigue, and blurred vision. In some cases, there may be no symptoms.
- Type 1 diabetes : Symptoms include increased thirst, frequent urination, hunger, fatigue, and blurred vision.
- Prediabetes : Many people with prediabetes have no symptoms.
Weight is a sensitive issue for many people and getting to a healthy weight is easier said than done. But if you fear diabetes or is struggling with diabetes, there are huge benefits to lose weight.
- You’ll have more energy and you’ll reduce your risk of serious complications like heart disease and stroke.
- Losing weight can help with your diabetes control too. And if you have type 2 diabetes, losing weight could even mean going into diabetes remission.
But millions of people with diabetes find keeping to a healthy weight a huge struggle. If you are one of these, you’re not alone in this, you can always hire an expert to help you in your journey.
How does diabetes impacts our body?
If your blood glucose stays high for too long, diabetes can damage the heart, blood vessels, eyes, kidneys and nerves over time, causing chronic problems and premature death.
What are the benefits of losing extra weight?
What’s a healthy weight to aim for?
Diabetes diet plans to help you lose weight, including your weight-loss planner
Can diabetes cause weight gain?
Around 60% of people with type 1 diabetes and around 85% of people with type 2 diabetes are carrying extra weight or are living with obesity.
Benefits of losing extra weight in diabetes
There are so many benefits to losing extra weight – both physically and emotionally.
- Extra weight around your waist means fat can build up around your organs, like your liver and pancreas. This can cause something called insulin resistance. So losing this weight could help the insulin you produce or the insulin you inject work properly.
- As you start to lose weight and get more active, you and your healthcare team may need to look at your medication, especially if you treat your diabetes with insulin or sulphonylurea. This might mean reducing the dose or making other adjustments, but talk to your healthcare team about it.
- For some people, needing fewer diabetes medications is a great motivation for losing weight.
Although getting type 1 diabetes has nothing to do with weight, losing any extra weight will help you reduce your risk of complications and could mean injecting less insulin.
If you have type 2 diabetes, losing around 5% of your body weight can have real benefits for your health.
- If you have obesity, you are more likely to put your diabetes into remission if you lose a larger amount of weight,15kg (or 2 stone 5lbs), as quickly and safely as possible following your diagnosis.
- This could mean coming off your diabetes medication completely – a life-changing possibility.
- Even more likely if you lose the weight nearer to your diagnosis and quickly.
Most people say they also feel better in their mood, have more energy and sleep better.
“Trust me, losing even 5% of your weight helps improve blood pressure and cholesterol levels. This can have a big impact on your overall health and go a long way to reducing your risk of serious complications, like heart disease and stroke.”
Need help in weight loss ?? Contact me for customised DIET Plan for weight loss and better health
- Benefits of walking for better health and weight lossWalking is one of the most underrated things you can do to lose more weight and improve your physical and mental health. … Read more
- STRATEGIES FOR DEALING WITH NEGATIVE PEOPLENegativity is a thinly disguised cry for help—to feel respected, loved, and in control. Dealing with negative people requires compassion, taking responsibility … Read more
- A wonderful lifeIn 1892 at Stanford University, a 18-year-old student was struggling to pay his fees. He was an orphan, and not knowing where … Read more
- Ways to lose weight and improve health through ayurvedaAyurveda is India’s ancient medical science which not only consists of remedies for curing the ailments but also lays strong focus on … Read more
- What is “Self-Soothing”? A Valuable Lifetime Skill or Waste of time!!KEY POINTS: Everybody has strong feelings sometimes. When you do, it’s vital to be able to soothe yourself. Many emotionally neglectful families aren’t able to teach their children how to soothe themselves. If self-soothing is not something you learned as a child, you can learn it now.
- How To effortlessly Let Go of your past!Letting go is hard because it means that you need to free yourself from some aspects of your past. Things that have … Read more