PLACEBO EFFECT: Also called the placebo response. A remarkable phenomenon in which a placebo — a fake treatment, an inactive substance like sugar, distilled water, or saline solution — can sometimes improve a patient’s condition simply because the person has the expectation that it will be helpful.
Because a placebo isn’t an active treatment, it shouldn’t have a significant effect on the condition. Researchers can compare the results from the placebo to those from the actual drug. This helps them to determine if the new drug is effective.
Examples from Real Human experiments
Below, we’ll explore three examples of the placebo effect from real studies.
- Recently, a friend of mine got impacted with viral. She was scared to visit a doctor due to COVID scare. Since her symptoms were not severe however she was scared due to the pandemic. I visited her with a few Immunity boosters like vitamin c, multi-vitamin and ashvagandha. I gave them unlabelled and told her these are Effective drugs to cure her Health. In few days, she felt better and was surprised how effective the pills were.
- Migraine : A 2014 study, assessed how the labeling of drugs affected episodic migraine in 66 people. This is how the study was set up:
- Participants were asked to take a pill for six different migraine episodes. During these episodes, they were given either a placebo or a migraine medication called Maxalt.
- The labeling of the pills was varied throughout the study. They could be labeled as placebo, Maxalt, or either type (neutral).
- Participants were asked to rate pain intensity 30 minutes into the migraine episode, take their assigned pill, and then rate pain intensity 2.5 hours later
- Last month, I was facing severe knee pain and visited the doctor. The doctor told me to include some Fenugreek seeds in my Diet and the pain was just a sprain from daily activities. The doctor’s tone of voice, body language, and eye contact was reassuring, making me feel more positive about the treatment.
A wonderful story on PLACEBO EFFECT:
Rita lived with her mother in a small apartment in NYC.
She wasn’t too young or too old,
not too short or too tall, not particularly beautiful nor ugly..
She was just an average looking woman.
She worked as a secretary at a large company and her life was pretty much boring and mundane.
No one at work paid any attention to her. Those that did considered her to be as boring as her life was.
One morning, on her way to work, Rita saw a new hat shop that opened down the street.
In a spur of curiosity she walked in!
In the shop was a little girl and her mother, who came to pick the girl a hat, and another customer who was trying on hats.
Rita also tried on a few hats, until she found one she liked.
She put it on and
It looked nice!
First to notice was the little girl : “Mom, look how pretty that woman looks with the hat on!”
The mother said:
“Ma’am, I must say, this hat just looks wonderful on you!”
The second buyer also came to look : “Ma’am, you look lovely with that hat on!”
Rita went to the mirror..
She looked at herself..
And for the first time in her adult life,
She found herself beautiful.
She went to the counter and bought the hat. That hat made her smile ear to ear.
As she walked outside a new world revealed itself to her.
World seems like a beautiful poetry to her. The sound of the cars and the people sounded like an harmonious melody.
She walked as if drifting on a cloud
with a song in her heart.
When she passed by the coffee shop she walked by every morning,
one of the young handsome man called out to her:
“Hey darling..looking good!
Are you new here?
Can I buy you a cup of coffee? “
She smiled shyly and kept walking.
Floating on her cloud.
When she got to the office building, the doorman opened the door and wished her Good Morning.
Never before had he even noticed her!
The people in the elevator asked her the floor she needed and pressed the button for her.
The people at the office, as if seeing her for the first time, flattered her on how lovely she looked today.
The manager asked her out to lunch to talk about how she felt at work!
When this magical workday was over she decided to take a cab home instead of the bus.
As soon as she put her hand up 2 taxis stopped!
She took the first one and sat in the back seat. Thinking about the miraculous day she had and how her life changed!! Thanks to the new hat!
When she got home, her mom opened the door.
The sight of Rita took her breath away!
“Rita” she said surprised “How beautiful you look! Your eyes are all lit up like when you were a little girl!”
“Yes, mother” Said Rita.
“It’s all thanks to my new hat, I had the most marvelous day!”
“Rita” said her mother
She touched her head and saw that the hat that changed her life was not there. She didn’t remember taking it off in the cab,
Or at lunch,
Or at the office.
She thought back to the store where she had bought it.
How she noticed it for the first time.
She put it on.
Paying for it at the cashier’s.
And she remembered painfully now,
How she put it on the counter.
To get her purse out to pay.
And how she forgot the hat right there..
On the counter…
Then she walked out to the street,
Without the Hat yet she was glowing!
Rita understood : It wasn’t the hat that freed Rita,
it was the quality of her thoughts!
Our thoughts can enslave us into a horrible bondage or liberate us towards sweet freedom: to be, do, or have anything we wish for!!!_
This is called as Placebo effect..
Your mind is so powerful that it can create poison as well as Nectar.
You just need to know how to create it.
Ask and you shall receive ….believe and you will get.