Let’s face a fact, this pandemic has impacted our health (mental and physical) a lot. We were home for a couple of months, we avoided crowded places like gyms, malls, markets, trains and may more. The good part was we got to spend time with our family, but everything else was on pause.
Now this 2020 is almost going to end, however this year gave us a lot of setbacks including our health and wealth. So, I am still avoiding gyms for the health of my family. But I have found a few found love for walking and its benefits and trust me it works. I have tried it for almost 6 months now.
Walking has enormous health benefits and if done mindfully its great way for weight management. Weight loss is about creating a calorie deficit through nutrition and exercise and that’s where walking can help.
Walking adds to the Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis (NEAT) i.e. the calories burnt through activities that we do apart from exercising.
3 types of walking that can burn more calories
**Warning please do it in external supervision**
- Walking backward increases cardiovascular endurance significantly more than walking forward under the same conditions.
- We expend more energy and burn more calories than those who work out at the same pace consistently for a longer duration. The increased metabolism will result in weight loss for those who press on.
- Studies have shown that using other muscle groups by performing different exercises protects our muscles and tendons from overuse. The knee joint and the patella joint (the joint where the kneecap glides on the knee) benefits from reverse walking.
- For those over 50, improving our balance and coordination is even more important. Backward motion improves the functions of our cerebellum which balances our bodily movements as well as flexibility.
- A brisk 30-minute walk burns 200 calories. Over time, calories burned can lead to pounds dropped.
- When brisk walk walking, your breathing rate increases, causing oxygen to travel faster through bloodstream, helping to eliminate waste products and improve your energy level and the ability to heal.
- Adding a new activity to our regular exercise routine prevents boredom, so we are less likely to stop exercising.
- The farmers walk benefits your posture by increasing your awareness of your muscles and body in general and forcing you to think about your form.
- It creates stability and eradicates imbalances in the body.
- It works surprisingly well for building muscle mass for our calves and hamstrings.
When engaging in a new activity which requires a greater effort, we exert ourselves more resulting in more calorie burn.
Let’s start walking in a healthier life, do let me know how you feel.
“The real test is not whether you avoid this failure, because you won’t. It’s whether you let it harden or shame you into inaction, or whether you learn from it; whether you choose to persevere.” –Barack Obama