Change the way you look at things and the things you look at will CHANGE
What Is Ego?
If you will google “What Is Ego” you will get zillions of definitions of it. According to Oxford EGO is “your sense of your own value and importance”.
But no Google will ever tell you if you are feeding your EGO or your EGO is feeding you. Some people might say that attention, fortune, status, and success are the culprits of EGO BOOST. However, it is your mindset and the way you perceive things are the REAL CULPRITS. You may be a billionaire, but if you STAY HUMBLE, STOP BEING MATERIALISTIC AND TREAT EVERYONE THE WAY YOU WANT TO BE TREATED, your EGO will die one day.
We must have Self Esteem in order to survive as humans, however there is a thin line between self-esteem and EGO. Self esteem helps us take a lot of decisions in life. However, an unhealthy ego doesn’t see past their own needs and desires. Your urge to be right in everything is usually an alarming sign of Egoistic behaviour.
Signs to recognise if your EGO is becoming too big for you
- When everything is about you!! All you can think of how things impacts you, how it benifits you and you want to be the centre of attention of every conversation.
- You start BELITTLING others.
- You can’t take “NO” for an answer.
- You cannot accept your mistakes.
- Empathy is missing.
- You have to always be right. According to famous psychoanalyst, Sigmund Freud, the ego operates according to the reality principle
- You constantly compare yourself to others. You feel you are better than them (better looking, more intelligent, happier, more wealthy).
- You feel envious when other people do well.
How to Stop Feeding Your Ego and Start Loving Yourself !!
- Stop comparing yourself to others.
- Don’t judge yourself based on the norm. For example: When someone says, “You should be married with kids by now. You take it personally and get offended (Stop getting offended).
- Don’t look for other people’s validation.
- Either live life the way you want or how other want. You can’t ride on two boats at the same time.
- Practice Empathy. Like any skill, empathy requires some practice. Hence, when someone tells to their problems try putting yourself in their shoes.
We can do amazing things when we re-engineer our thoughts, intentions and purpose. I was one of those people who used to get hurt and get angry easily. After years of life experiences and knowledge I have understood the importance of self growth. Every human emotion has an underlying reason and to deal with the emotion, it’s important to understand the reason behind it. Understanding the reason behind your emotions, involves a lot of introspection. It involves time, effort and the zeal to put oneself under a microscopic view. In my experience a lot of our abrupt emotional reactions are a result of OUR EGO.
I read this book. ” POWER OF INTENTIONS” recently by WAYNE DYER. In the book Dyer examines Seven Steps for Overcoming Ego’s. After reading it, I did some self introspection, surprisingly those seven points were bang on correct.
- Stop being offended.
- Let go of your need to win.
- Let go of your need to be right.
- Let go of your need to be superior.
- Let go of your need to have more.
- Let go of identifying yourself on the basis of your achievements.
- Let go of your reputation.
When you’re connected to the power of intention, everywhere you go, and everyone you meet, is affected by you and the energy you radiate. As you become the power of intention, you’ll see your dreams being fulfilled almost magically, and you’ll see yourself creating huge ripples in the energy fields of others by your presence and nothing more.