Listening is most common habit within us, still we don’t do it right. It’s one of the basic qualities that can make a HUGE CHANGE in our lives.
But still a lot of us feel unheard. WHY !!!
I used to think that we all have this quality, until recently. Over last few months, my relationship with everyone around me has changed. I’m closer to the people then I used to in the past. Trust me, a lot of my past relationships have healed just because of ONE SIMPLE YET EFFECTIVE CHANGE.
Let me tell you how
1. Listen to understand not to respond : Start by listening to understand not to respond. I have noticed that a lot of times we listen to people around us to respond not to understand their emotions or point of view. Practice this for next few weeks. When ever you are in a conversation listen to the other person to understand their emotions. Don’t listen to say your side of story. Trust me you will see the difference.
2. STOP FINDING HIDDEN MEANINGS : Humans are creative beings. We try and find meaning behind simplest of incidents. We cannot stop using our mind. However, this also has disadvantages. We jump to conclusions. If we simply listen to the words that are being said instead of reading between the lines it will heal a lot of our broken relationships.
3. INTERRUPTIONS : Let the other person speak. I have noticed a lot of people have a habit of interrupting the other person in a conversation or they will not even let the other person speak. This is so unfair. All of us should have equal right to speak and to be heard.
Quick Tip to listen
- Give your 200% attention to the speaker.
- Only have a important conversation when all the parties involved has time.
- Have an open mind.
- Don’t speak Harsh just cause you are angry.
- Two wrongs can not make a right.
- Look at the person you are having a conversation with, LISTENING WAS NEVER JUST ABOUT LISTENING.
- Look for NON-VERBAL CUES.
- Focus on the message, not the words.
Don’t just learn, experience.Roy T. Bennett
Don’t just read, absorb.
Don’t just change, transform.
Don’t just relate, advocate.
Don’t just promise, prove.
Don’t just criticize, encourage.
Don’t just think, ponder.
Don’t just take, give.
Don’t just see, feel.
Don’t just dream, do.
Don’t just hear, listen.
Don’t just talk, act.
Don’t just tell, show.
Don’t just exist, live.